Going dairy free, grain free a few years ago, I had tried to make coconut milk yogurt soon after making the switch. FAIL! I tried it twice and failed both times. Yucky grey mold. (insert blechk face!)I had given up and my Yogourmet sat silently on the shelf waiting for the next opportunity to give it another go. Thanks to Danielle Walker and her recipe, I felt confident enough to give it a go.
I tried another recipe that didn’t use gelatin when I failed and that may have been the difference for me. You will have to try it for yourself and see.
2-14 oz cans of coconut cream/milk
3 tbls unflavoured gelatin
2 tbls honey
1-50-billion IU probiotic capsule or 1 dairy free probiotic yogurt starter kit
- Place 1/4 cup of the coconut milk in a bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin over it and set aside to bloom for 10 minutes.
- Heat the remaining coconut milk in a saucepan over medium heat until it reaches 150 degrees F, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the softened gelatin and the honey until dissolved.
- Allow milk to cool to 110 degrees F, then whisk in the contents of 1-50 billion IU probiotic capsule or the yogurt starter.
- Pour the mixture through a mesh sieve into sterilized jars and screw on the lids.
- Place the jars in a yogurt maker and ferment for 18-24 hours, or ferment in a dehydrator without the trays on 120 degrees F for the same time.
- The yogurt will still be liquid and the coconut cream may have separated at this point. Place the jars in the refridgerator for 4 hours to allow the gelatin to set and the yogurt to thicken. Once set, whisk vigorously to blend the yogurt or pulse in a blender a few times for an ultra-smooth consistency.