“You must have healthy grains as part of your diet.”
Do you hear this sentiment from friends and family?
Our society has been brainwashed into believing bull-caca!
If you are like me, you don’t believe “conventional” wisdom as far as you can throw it!
You may feel like you are swimming upstream sometimes, trying to keep you and your family healthy while government, relatives, and big business try to feed you loads of crap they call food!
When we tell people that we only eat fruit, vegetables, meat, fish, seeds and nuts, their immediate response is, “….what do you eat then?”
Many will wonder (because they are programmed the same way we were), how we are able to sustain our children on a diet without “whole grains?”
Some brave souls may even ask, “But what about all the healthy fibres that they are missing out on?”
I am here to tell you, you are not alone if you are getting these questions.
If you are maybe wondering yourself, then hopefully I can help you, and shed some light on this murky subject.
We didn’t get a choice when our daughter was in pain and the typical gluten free diet wasn’t the final answer. We had to hit the drawing board once again. This was the second time in less than 2 years that we had to redefine our diet, and pore through endless websites and books to try to find a solution that none of our doctors could give us.
We made a bold decision to take these things out of our diet, out of sheer desperation. We didn’t have answers, so we had to go for it and pray to God that this might fix what continued to give our daughter the excruciating discomfort, with no name.
Well, I’m here to tell you that you can survive, nay, thrive!
We are essentially following the Paleo diet, but I resist saying that because I feel it is more of a dissection of the food pyramid, or a back-to-basics-plan. I also know that people have a preconceived image of someone on a Paleo diet.
Here are the reasons that I follow the diet and want my family to learn how to do the same:
- My full time job involves dealing with many chronically sick people, some are quite young (and I don’t want to end up that way)
- After dealing with our immediate family diet needs, I started to look back on other family members and their ailments
- I truly believe that health and longevity starts in your mind. If you believe you are healthy, you are.
- Falling apart as we age is not supposed to happen at the rate that we have become accustomed to
- The rates of autoimmune diseases, cancers, allergies and general sickness continues to go up despite advances in medicine (Cancer cases to rise 57%, Autoimmune disease on the rise, Food allergies on the rise)
I find that health is personal and people have to stand up for their beliefs. When you make changes as drastic as this, you are always going to have someone or something challenging you. You have be firm in your belief and remember it is YOUR health.
Dining out, family engagements, parties, holidays are all different and can be challenging. I suggest joining a group of like-minded people or some sort of Paleo community, as it helps to have people to share your thoughts with.
Article from the famous Mark Sisson:Why Grains Are Unhealthy
What is the Paleo Diet by Robb Wolf