This is an amazing recipe. I made it for the first time 2 weeks ago and I have had to make 3 batches so far. They are literally eating it up!
1/2 cup of honey
1/2 cup almond butter
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
1 tsp of vanilla extract
3/4 cup of pecan halves
3/4 cup of cashews
1/2 cup of raw almonds
8-12 smallish pitted dates soaked in hot water for 15 minutes
1/4 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup of raisins(I used apricots for the latest batch)
2 tablespoons dried, unsweetened cranberries
1/2 cup dark chocolate pieces(optional)
- Line a 9X13 in. baking dish with parchment paper
- Place the honey, almond butter, oil and vanilla in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and then turn down to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the pecans, almonds, cashews and dates in the food processor and process until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Add the coconut and pulse a bit to combine.
- Remove the honey mixture from the stove and stir in the nut mixture. Add the fruit and chocolate(if desired)of your choice. I will change this depending on what is trending in the house when I am making or what I have on hand.
- Spoon this mixture into the baking dish, spreading it out with a spatula.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on top and press mixture so it is spread evenly into the baking dish. Pack it down and place in freezer for 2 hours. Remove top parchment paper.
- You should be able to cut into 12-16 lovely little snack bars, ready to fill the hungry bellies of your healthy family.
This is a very healthy, but tasty recipe that is a nice treat as well.
I always change recipes to suit my situation. So for this one I use apricots, almond butter and no chocolate. It is plenty sweet already and a favorite snack.
I hope that you enjoy these as much as my children do.